Tuesday, May 07, 2013

The Naked Venue

Ryan and I went again to SC (yes, finally abbreviating since I'm sick of typing that whole thing out). We had made the appointment to see the reception space actually set-up for a wedding. Frankly, it was one of the most disappointing things I've ever seen. 

I'm starting to feel like Pinterest has now given me completely unrealistic ideas of how a wedding should look. You see all these impressive (and no doubt expensive) photographs of decor, and that's no doubt what you'd want. I guess it's not in everyone's budget; luckily some of it is in ours. I think that's why I was so disappointed when we saw this "wedding" set up a few weeks ago. I don't even know if I would've called it a wedding.

To give you some idea of how they managed to ruin a nice space, I will explain. This couple was obviously on a modest budget. That, I can understand. I am still shocked by the price tags of some things needed for weddings. I digress.


The area had tables set up in a strange layout. There were odd shaped gaps between the round tables and in some places, no space at all between. We found out through our SC contact, that the bride and groom had specifically asked for no tables to be on the dance floor. Taking away that extra space made it awkward to fit all 70 of their guests. However, the thing that surprised me the most, was the total and complete lack of decor. They had a few D.I.Y. paper flower pompoms (I think maybe 3 or 4) hanging from beams in the ceiling, but when the ceiling is easily 25 ft high, having 12 inch pompoms doesn't really do a whole lot. To add to all that, the tables were bare with only the standard white linen and boring place settings. I felt like I was entering their regular dining hall on a Tuesday night. No flowers, no colour, no nothing.


There was a plus side to even seeing all (or none, really) of this though. I wanted to see if the red and brown leaf carpet would disappear with all the tables on it; and it did. Thank goodness. And, not to sass another bride's vision for her wedding, but there's no way that I'm letting my wedding venue look that... naked.


Looking straight down from the dance floor!
Overall, it was a good trip. We managed to get an idea of what the venue will look like with tables set up. I guess that's a start. We will be re-visiting with my Mom (finally) so she can see the space in June. I'll feel better when I know that she has actually stepped foot into the venue. Pictures really don't do the place justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment